To the Board of Directors of DFCC Bank PLC
We were engaged by the Board of Directors of DFCC Bank PLC (“Bank”) to provide assurance on the Directors’ Statement on Internal Control (“Statement”) included in the annual report for the period ended 31 December 2015 as set out in this Annual Report.
Management’s Responsibility for the Statement on Internal Control
Management is responsible for the preparation and presentation of the Statement in accordance with the “Guidance for Directors of Banks on the Directors’ Statement on Internal Control” issued in compliance with the section 3(8)(ii)(b) of the Banking Act Direction No. 11 of 2007, by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka.
Scope of the Engagement in Compliance with SLSAE 3050
Our responsibility is to issue a report to the Board on the Statement based on the work performed. We conducted our engagement in accordance with Sri Lanka Standard on Assurance Engagements SLSAE 3050 – Assurance Report for Banks on Directors’ Statement on Internal Control issued by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka.
Summary of Work Performed
Our engagement has been conducted to assess whether the Statement is both supported by the documentation prepared by or for directors and appropriately reflects the process the directors have adopted in reviewing the system of internal control for the Bank.
To achieve this objective, appropriate evidence has been obtained by performing the following procedures:
- Enquired the Directors to obtain an understanding of the process defined by the Board of Directors for their review of the design and effectiveness of internal control and compared their understanding to the Statement made by the Directors in the Annual Report.
- Reviewed the documentation prepared by the Directors to support their Statement made.
- Related the Statement made by the Directors to our knowledge of the Bank obtained during the audit of the Financial Statements.
- Reviewed the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors and of relevant Board Committees.
- Attended meetings of the audit committee at which the annual report, including the Statement on Internal Control is considered and approved for submission to the Board of Directors.
- Considered whether the Directors’ Statement on Internal Control covers the period under review and that adequate processes are in place to identify any significant matters arising.
- Obtained written representations from Directors on matters material to the Statement on Internal Control where other sufficient appropriate audit evidence cannot reasonably be expected to exist.
SLSAE 3050 does not require us to consider whether the Statement covers all risks and controls, or to form an opinion on the effectiveness of the Bank’s risk and control procedures. SLSAE 3050 also does not require us to consider whether the processes described to deal with material internal control aspects of any significant problems disclosed in the annual report will, in fact, remedy the problems.
Based on the procedures performed, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the Statement included in the Annual Report is inconsistent with our understanding of the process the Board of Directors has adopted in the review of the design and effectiveness of internal control system over the financial reporting of the Bank.
24th February 2016